mercredi 30 septembre 2015

Using AWS S3 to Process Form Uploads on My Site

I know we are normally to post code samples but this is more of a question to clarify understanding (which I am not sure where I should put on SO).

I am a complete AWS/S3 newbie. (Read: < 5 hours experience)

After banging my head over configuring uploads from my site to my S3 bucket (and cursing the overabundance of AWS literature that leads people on a wild goose chase), I was successful. Great. But it's left me wondering if I missed something? Here's the scenario that I was trying to create:

A user visits the 'upload' area of my site. There they select a file to upload and enter in pertinent details about the resource (for argument's sake: Resource Title, Resource Type, Resource Size, etc.) They submit the form and the upload shoots off to S3 while the extraneous data is stored in my DB.

At least that was the intention when I started.

Now that I have S3 working, I've run into the following snags:

  • A user can only upload one file at a time to the service (I think)
  • The form can only process the upload data itself and nothing extraneous that the user might enter into the form (I think)

Have I missed something here? Can users only upload one resource at a time and can the form only handle parameter information related to the upload?

I put the S3 form into an iframe embedded into the larger form so that I am not redirecting the user to the 'success_action_redirect' page prematurely, but that doesn't fix my issue of wanting to send form data along with the upload in one fell swoop.

Since there are a billion other AWS services, maybe I've misunderstood and S3 isn't my best choice for a file upload/download site?

Thanks in advance for your insight!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire