vendredi 28 août 2015

AWS free tier with no upfront reservation

When looking into the billing sheet of my AWS account, I discovered a strange thing. I would be glad if someone explained it to me or point me to an official documentation talking about this.

I am using several EC2 instances (t2.micro) with both Windows and Linux. According to Amazon, I am eligible for having some of them as part of the free tier - and I had, since one instance from both Linux and Windows were priced for 0 and the billing sheet claimed that they are part of the free tier.

What I did was purchasing no upfront reservations for all the Linux instances (forgetting that one of them is eligible for the free tier) and in the upcoming billing, I discovered that Amazon did not charge me for one of that reservations (so the free tier was still applied).

This is not an issue with partial or all-upfront instances since Amazon will charge me for the full price of the reservations (as I tested out) but no upfront reservations are treated differently.

This seems like either a bug or an undocumented feature so I am curious how to explain this behaviour to myself.

I am not complaining that Amazon gave me this benefit but I am working on a project on which I am using AWS pricing and I would like to know the mechanism behind reservations and in which cases they are compatible with free tier (did not find any mention about this issue in the documentation).




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire